Tuesday 8 July 2014

South Africa in Sri Lanka - 1st ODI, 6 July 2014

Well it was a good start to the tour for the Proteas winning by 75 runs and pretty much the whole team contributed to the win. For South Africa to post a score of 305 in the subcontinent is actually quite impressive although I did feel some pain for Sri Lanka as they were disadvantaged in that the playing conditions did not allow for the lights to be switched on when the light started fading. The third ODI is also a day game so whichever team bats first will more than likely win as I think those conditions do play a big factor. I mean I would be flipping scared of Dale Steyn or Morne Morkel bowling at me on a bright sunny day let alone when the sun is below the horizon. (It has now been announced that the floodlights will be on standby for the 3rd ODI)

What really stood out to me during the game was the partnership between Hashim Amla and AB de Villiers and not only because it was a big partnership (151 runs) but it really settled any doubts (and they were really teeny tiny little doubts) about Amla and De Villiers as South African captains. With Amla recently being appointed as Test captain there was a school of thought that AB was upset about being passed over for the role which is fair enough because I have a feeling it would be something that has been a goal of his but AB is definitely a true sportsman and wouldn't let personal issues influence his performance in the team. While I was watching these two incredibly talented cricketers put on an awesome partnership, I thought about what that requires. Having two gifted batsmen at the crease does not guarantee a big partnership, that requires communication, mutual trust and respect as well as experience. It then occurred to me that if these men can do this on the field - and they have done it on multiple occasions - then why should it be any different off the field? Both players are some of the most humble and down to earth guys out there and I personally find it hard to believe that the partnership they share on the field does not reflect their relationship off the field.

I look forward to this new era in South African cricket. I never really paid attention to people's negative opinions of Graeme Smith because I don't think the Proteas could ever have succeeded the way they did for so long without his leadership. I will miss his presence on the field. There will be ups and downs as there always is with this game but our team is bursting with talent and I'm certain we have a bright future ahead. #PROTEAFIRE

3 comments:

  1. Cool, well said, Christy, with excellent observations. Looking forward to reading more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! Glad you enjoying it :)

      Delete
    2. And thanks for being my first comment :)

      Delete