Monday 31 March 2014

SA vs England, World T20 2014

We are in the Semi-finals!!!

Another tight game but some amazing performances helped see South Africa through to the next stage of the competition. Unfortunately I did not get to watch the game as I attended a Sharks Rugby match (which was really good too!) but I followed as much of the game as I could on my cellphone. Flip! I thought watching matches on TV was stressful but when your cellphone keeps losing signal and every TV around is showing a rugby match is way worse!  Anyway, that's where highlights come in handy :)

Our batting - YES PLEASE! This is what we are capable of! Will all you Amla-doubters out there please keep your mouths closed from now on. This immediate reaction of calling for a guy to be dropped when he has a couple of bad games really needs to stop.  Amla showed he can comfortably put the ball away and seriously contribute in this format as an opener. Although, it is pretty obvious but hands down the best performance of the night has to go to South Africa's version of Superman - AB de Villiers. In the last blog I mentioned how South Africa need to be grateful for the talent that is Dale Steyn but the other trump card on our team is De Villiers. The expression on England captain, Stuart Broad's face as AB was knocking his bowlers around as he pleased was absolutely priceless! AB stood in as captain with Du Plessis sitting out because of a one-match ban due to slow over rates. De Kock and Miller uncharacteristically played holding roles for Amla and De Villiers respectively and it was good to see they have the capacity to fulfill that role. South Africa posted the highest total of the tournament so far and hopefully the batsmen can keep this momentum going. I really hope that the selectors keep De Villiers at 3 - the earlier he comes in to bat is definitely beneficial for South Africa. Du Plessis will return after his ban so it is likely that they will stick with the normal order.

I think the bowling attacks of both teams had a rough time in the conditions but obviously the stand out performance of Parnell really got South Africa in the winning seat. Parnell was in the side for Tsotsobe and gee did he prove his worth! I think there is little doubt that he will be selected for the semi-final. Parnell and Tahir took care of most of the top order not allowing any of the English batsmen to build on the starts they had made. Albie Morkel was unlucky in the first over getting a wicket on a ball that was wrongly called a no-ball. Injury depending, it is likely that Hendriks will be replaced by Morne Morkel for the next game. I'm glad he was given another chance after he performed well against the Netherlands but in this stage of the competition we need to have all our on-form and experienced players in the eleven.  The bowling was backed up by some outstanding fielding from Miller and De Villiers. The energy in our outfield was electric!

With a few games left to go in the group stages, it seems we will play India in the semi-final which will be a challenge but Twenty20 cricket is a strange creature, very unpredictable.

Teams prediction for the semi-final:

1. Amla
2. De Kock
3. De Villiers
4. Du Plessis
5. Duminy
6. Miller
7. A. Morkel
8. Parnell
9. Steyn
10. M. Morkel
11. Imran Tahir