Monday 14 July 2014

South Africa in Sri Lanka 2014 - 3rd ODI

Who couldn't be happier right now? Me that's who!

Massive congratulations to the Proteas on a historic victory in Sri Lanka. As usual my nerves were completely shot after the game but it is always so worth it. With almost everyone occupied by the soccer and rugby I did make a point to some of my friends about how awesome the cricket was because I felt it was important to acknowledge the achievement. And if they found it annoying, well... I really don't care. 

Our batting...
Wow! Seriously classy centuries from De Kock and De Villiers and they were such a joy to watch. I'm really happy for De Kock as this just helps him grow in confidence and solidify his position in the ODI squad. As for AB, what can I say? Do we really expect anything less when he walks to the crease? Well done captain! And even though he didn't get his half-century (48) I also have to mention Amla for his contribution to the start of the innings. It seems that Hashim and Quinton are building a strong relationship as an opening pair and their playing styles seem to compliment each other very well.

Our bowling...
This is where my nerves started to go. Not the best start to the innings. I would've thought that with a score of 339 we would be able to defend that nicely but the Sri Lankan's came out swinging. I think I'm correct in saying that their run rate was above 10 in the beginning when they only required just over 6.  Parnell made the break through (can somebody explain his hairstyle to me please, thanks) but even from there it was still touch and go. It was the sixth wicket that seemed to decide the game because 23 runs later they were all out. McLaren put in another great performance taking three wickets and Imran Tahir also stood out with extremely economic figures  (10 overs, 29 runs, 1 wicket).

Overall it was a really solid performance from the Proteas, they didn't seem to get discouraged by the good start the Sri Lankans made and it was an all round team performance. Batsmen playing their part and the bowlers doing their's. 

There is one thing that is sticking out in my mind though and it's very much a sore point. Jacques Kallis is really battling at the moment. I'm not saying he needs to be off the team and all these things but this is just such a hard situation. He didn't bat/bowl in the warm up game, he didn't manage to get above single figures in all three games and AB said at the beginning of the series that Kallis can bowl it's just a matter of how many overs. Well he didn't bowl anything either. In any of the games. Even when Steyn got injured in the second ODI and we were a bowler down, Kallis did not make an appearance. Although I'm not to worried about his bowling commitments anymore because I think South Africa have developed a strong bowling department. I understand his desire to see another World Cup (2015) and I understand the caliber of player that Kallis is but I'm going to find it hard to be happy that he is batting at number three when his recent record is lacking. It's so difficult. I hope he plays some more domestic games this season seeing as he doesn't have Test match commitments anymore. More time at the crease should improve his form but who knows. Nothing would make my heart happier then seeing the Kallis we all know and love continue to grow the legend that he has become.

And now we look forward to the test matches...

No comments:

Post a Comment